[DGD] Connection problems.....

dannic at orpgs.com dannic at orpgs.com
Tue Mar 9 23:12:10 CET 2004

Quoting Kirk Smith <ksmith at illiji.net>:

> With all due respect, Dannic, that would be possibly one of the worst
> ventures I can think of. You'd end up with instabilities on top of hacks
> on top of bugs... It would be a nightmare in every sense of the word.
> You'd be better off spending your time recreating a TMI-like mudlib native
> to DGD, which Melville provides a good on. I'm also in the process of
> writing a 'best of both worlds' alternative which tries to provide a
> middle ground between Melville and something like Phantasmal.

Yeah, it might be a waste.  Just thought of providing another alternative for
those who want something and don't really have anything to plop down on top of
DGD.  Especially with those who want to start with TMI.  I've had lots of
people ask me about TMI and if it was portable to DGD.  If it was ported over
to DGD then it would be something I think people would want.

It would definately be a future project.  Nothing in the near future at that.
Who knows.... yours might be ready by then and I won't have to even visit the
idea further than this thread. :p

> Of course, you're welcome to do what you like with your time. But having
> considered this in the past, I found the mere idea a waste. I would
> suggest that releasing something similar to what you've done on Karelia
> would be a better idea.

Thought about releasing Karealia but it is a "Hack".  Very little of it looks
like the original Melville and it honestly isn't put together all that well.
Works great for now but who knows when I start getting lots of visitors. :)
That and it isn't even close to being ready for just throw it in the folder and
run mode yet.  TMI(even with all of its hacks and insecurities) does do that.