[DGD] Connection problems.....

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Mar 10 02:27:57 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Kirk Smith wrote:
> With all due respect, Dannic, that would be possibly one of the worst
> ventures I can think of. You'd end up with instabilities on top of hacks
> on top of bugs... It would be a nightmare in every sense of the word.

Well, not -every- sense of the word  ;)

(The main competitor to TMI among MudOS libs was called Nightmare.)

> You'd be better off spending your time recreating a TMI-like mudlib native
> to DGD, which Melville provides a good on.

One wonders how Melville came to resemble the TMI mudlib...

I should perhaps register objection to the notion that the TMI
mudlib running over DGD through the MudOS-alike would be
"instabilities... hacks... bugs" and I think perhaps Dworkin
and whoever wrote the MudOS package should also. TMI is a
perfectly viable lib with a decade of successful use in the
field. The MudOS package is less tested but I'm not aware of
any problems people have had with it.

The real objection to this proposal (and I concur that it's a
poor idea) is that it doesn't make sense to take a mudlib which
was written at the end of the life-cycle of one driver and slap
it onto the start of the life-cycle of another driver. Doing
something native, be that Melville or Phantasmal or something
you brew up yourself, is probably the smarter move. Doing a
TMI-2 port to DGD would make sense if you had a TMI-2 lib
you needed to get off of a MudOS driver, but not otherwise.
And if you're willing to keep the old lib, why not the old
driver as well?

Steve/Moby