[DGD] DGD Commercial Licensing?

Jas katmandu at turbobyte.com
Mon Sep 20 23:26:41 CEST 2004

Noah Gibbs wrote:

>  If the old email on the topic is still applicable, you'll find that
>licensing DGD directly from Dworkin will cost tens of thousands of
>dollars yearly -- definitely out of hobbyist price range, though
>reasonably modest for a medium-to-large business purchasing an
>industrial-strength programming tool.

Yes, that price range is a little beyond my projected budget for
production of a hobbyist game I was hoping to collect small donations
from players for.

I wouldn't mind paying even several HUNDRED dollars per year for a piece
of software, or maybe even several THOUSAND dollars for a
lifetime/multi-year license, but TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars per year
for what started life as a text-based game engine seems a little steep.

>  You can do much, much better than that if you're willing to talk to
>Skotos and either 1) work directly through them or 2) don't compete
>with their business in any way.  If you go for #1, they have a royalty
>scheme based on the amount of business that your game attracts to their
>site, measured in the number of people playing your game and the amount
>of time they do so.

Game programmers who agree to work solely on royalty commissions usually
get the short end of the stick, from my experiences with the industry.
That said, I may still take a look at option #1 anyway.

And as for not competing with their business in any way (option #2),
that sort of defeats the whole point of getting a commercial license.

I do appreciate your comments, even if the tone of my message would
indicate otherwise.  I'm just having "a week of Mondays" already, IRL.

And, I'm not really meaning to shoot the messenger; I'm just firing a
12ga with a wide spread pattern. ;)

Thanks,
Jason