[DGD] DGD http daemon?

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Wed Feb 16 12:34:01 CET 2005

httptunnel would be very usefull to get around firewalls indeed, and would
remove some of the nastyness of a telnet like client running in a browser.
Also, it might just solve the underlying issue with http, the fact that a
connection close is a valid, and at times mandatory way in http to signal
the end of a message. I assume that httptunnel deals with this and does
not break the tunnel as a result?

My main interest in making a web interface is not related to firewalls
however but to making text MUDs easy to access for a broader public that
doesn't really know about, or does not want to bother with telnet. They
may still switch to using it after having gotten into the game, but as
introduction to text based MUDs telnet is a bit of an obstacle (many
people who havent been around on the net for a long time or are interested
in unix like systems etc consider it rather obscure, and a command based
game itself is already obscure enough for them)

The other reason why I am interested in http for a mud is to be able to
publish stats and other information from inside the mud on the web as well
as making mail and discussion boards available with an easy to use
(graphical) interface. This was actually my primary interest so far.

But again, httptunnel looks interesting for getting around a firewall, and
it might not be that difficult to implement. The code I have so far allows
you to basicly take over inmediately after the http request is received
and put in a mapping, and allows you to generate your own answers,
including your own headers, so a plugin that supports
httptunnel should at least in theory be possible with it.

A small status update, I am approx halfway with writing the documentation.
I hope to finish it during the next weekend and have the code and docs
available by the middle of next week.

Bart.