[DGD] Changing connect() (network package)

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Dec 11 00:59:03 CET 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:34:09 +0100, Felix A. Croes wrote
> Shentino <shentino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm actually been thinking of making a new version of the network
> > package that plays nicer by using the extension interface, and that
> > won't interfere with the "legacy" behavior of vanilla DGD.
> >
> > Haven't a clue how to do it, but using an interface specifically
> > designed for such extensions methinks cross-version compatibility will
> > be better. :/
>
> You can't.
>
> The extension interface is only for kfuns that call no DGD code,
> other than error() and simple datatype manipulation functions.

Good, that answers my speculation.. If I or someone else wants this
functionality on modern DGD versions, reimplementing the network package or
adapting the old version is basicly the only way, and since the development
version is pretty much a moving target, keeping that uptodate can be a fair
amount of work.

> Furthermore, I really don't see how it could be improved to support
> something like the networking package -- the underlying code for
> network communications in DGD and DGD/MP is completely different.

And that underlying code would need changes to support a network package of
sorts, and I smell an old discussion about networking functionality in DGD :P

I suppose the connection code could provide an interface for setting up
outgoing tcp connections besides accepting incomming ones, and similar for
udp. The communications code would need an interface to call that.. but hrm,
then you are basicly reimplementing part of the network package, and still
don't have something that could be used by the extension interface if I
understand you correctly. Still, having an interface for doing those things
would make life a lot easier...

Bart.
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/