[DGD] using "open/" under "System/"

Mikael Lind mikkelin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:29:52 CEST 2007

On 25/10/2007, chris . <psych_mayo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> just wondering since i havent seen any docs on this, the functionality of
> the "open/"
> directory that can be placed under "System/".
> To be specific, things like whether the folder can be read from, or
> written to,
> or only inherited from.  Along with anything else I would not know about
> how it
> works.

By default, the kernel library denies all access to other users'
directories. The exception to this rule is the "open" subdirectory in each
user's directory, where everyone and everything has read access. While users
can be granted access to any path, this does not affect the privileges of
their objects. In order for an object to be able to include or inherit code
from another user's directory, the code must either reside in the "open"
directory, or global read access must be granted to the user's directory.

In my mud library, I have granted global read access to ~System, so that
anyone can read the code. The object manager restricts inheritance of code
in ~System -- which would otherwise be possible, because of the global read
access -- only allowing inheritance from ~System/open. The second-level auto
object resides in ~System/lib/auto.

Mikael