[DGD] Virtualization, in the Xen or VMware sense.

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 07:11:16 CEST 2008

During one sleep deprived night, I had the craziest idea...

That of allowing multiple mudlibs to run simultaneously on the same
server, similiarly to how Xen or VMware allows multiple VM's to run on
the same PM (physical machine).

Apart from the side effect of them all sharing the same statedump when
the server as a whole is taken down and restarted, I think I *might*
be able to do some clever masking and filename rewriting to make it
appear that multiple "mudlibs", each of which is housed distinctly,
are each using the entire server, apart from.

Basic implementation was to use the Klib as the top level mudlib,
stuff the "VMM" into ~System, and then, for each mudlib, present a
Klib compliant interface that does for the "VM" mudlib would see as if
it were the real Klib.

Each VM would be put into its own /home directory, and top level Klib
stuff would provide VM isolation.  The VM-visible version of the klib
would simulate further with a "DGware"-ized klib that, to the VM,
looks like the klib, but has backend hooks for the VMM.  There would
be filename translation aplenty.

I guess it would be most like Xen's paravirtualization.

Thoughts?

This is mostly just a thought experiment, but I think it would fall in
the "not yet a practical use but DAANG that would be cool" category.