[DGD] Virtualization, in the Xen or VMware sense.

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Thu Aug 28 22:35:47 CEST 2008

Thinking back to my attempt at virtualisation makes me remember thinks :P

Beyond filenames, you'll have to deal with call_other and object references
being passed around.

The first is quite solvable, the second might be quite difficult to solve, I
never got to that point because of deciding that running multiple instances of
DGD was going to be easier and removes a few potential issues with at least
the SP version of DGD.

DGD (SP) will effectively handle some 256 or such users (less with the
networking patches depending on the ports setting in your config file).

Also, in the SP case, the responsiveness of the mud will degrade with an
increase of the number of connections.

This makes some parts of virtualisation inside the LPC environment interesting
for development and security and possibly some nifty features (a sandbox for
coders for example), but not really as a way to run multiple different games
with a single instance of the driver unless you aim at a few players/game. For
the uses I think it has, something akin to chroot on UNIX would probably do
the job as well.

I bet this will change with dgd/mp

The one thing I kept from my attempt at it is being able to direct requests
for any files and objects in a directory tree to a handling object that can
decide what to return (this includes compile_object()).

This is mostly used for creating 'virtual objects', ie, objects that do not
have any file representing their lpc code existing in the mud filesystem,
rather the lpc code is either retrieved from somewhere outside the lpc
environment, or generated for example from a template. It could in theory also
be used to parse files and generate lpc from them, translate foreign lpc
dialects, mount remote filesystems from within the lpc environment (some
mumbling about seurity) or mirror one part of the filesystem somewhere else in
the directory tree.

--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/