[DGD] just out of curiosity

Schmidt, Stephen schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Sep 10 17:51:45 CEST 2012

Dworkin wrote:
> The second change is that muds are much further along the road to extinction.

Without getting involved in any of the other issues in this exchange, I would
like to ask a question about this statement.

It strikes me that what's along the road to extinction is not MUDs, but text-based
connections. To whatever extent something like World of Warcraft counts as a
MUD (I think it meets at least some of the broader definitions of what a MUD is)
MUDs are doing fine. Or, perhaps, what is along the road to extinction is free
software run by hobbyists, displaced by commercial products like WoW, though
I think one can make a stronger case that freeware supported by hobbyists has
a future ahead of it.

The question is whether anyone is working on a lib for DGD that would support
a graphical MUD? I would guess it would have to be paired with client software,
but that's not an insuperable barrier to making a MUD.

I have a feeling that if I was lurking more attentively I might already know the
answer to this question, but I'm not and I don't, and in any event, it might merit
a little discussion in the wake of Dworkin's statement quoted above.

Steve