[DGD] just out of curiosity

Par Winzell par.winzell at alyx.com
Mon Sep 10 18:44:48 CEST 2012

On 9/10/2012 11:22 AM, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> I don't want to be pulled into a discussion about the nature of muds,
> but to elucidate my position: I am done with online games.  As far as
> I am concerned, muds are no longer DGD's primary purpose.
>
> However, it is the nature of DGD to be eminently suited to muds.  That
> will not change.

I will restrict myself to expressing a sincere hope that,

  A) At some point, we master the 3D medium to where we regain some of
the enormous expressive power a text-based game has, and
  B) We figure out a way to build a commercially viable yet intensely
stateful game world, as opposed to the incredibly shallow worlds of
(admittedly very fun) current MMOs.

On that day, there's no better engine than DGD/Hydra. You can't flush
the entire countryside out to PostgreSQL every few seconds. In such a
world, state needs to default to persisted.

Zell