[DGD] Belated return

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Mon Feb 9 14:24:17 CET 2015

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 16:32:46 -0600, Blain
wrote
> Geez.  I'd send them an itemized bill and
demand for just
> compensation. ;)
>
> I was working on my lib again for a bit,
but got sucked back into finishing
> up some project reviewing on AA.  I'm
really enjoying DGD, though I
> wish I had more time to devote to my
project.

> While I've got your attention, I was
curious if you (or anyone else that
> might be listening) would know how MMOs
seem to hand the client's
> connection off from server to server, or
do they just tell the
> client where next to connect, perhaps?  I
know that some MUD clients
> can be told to change connection, but I
was looking for a way to
> have two or more servers, one for login
and one or more for game
> playing, but yet only give out the login
server for initial
> connecting.  It seems to me that basic
telnet cannot handle such
> redirection without tunneling and thus
tying up that port on the
> login server.  I was just pondering this
one day.

What is it you want to achieve with this?
Is the main worry the port being
tied up or would it be load on that
specific server.

So far, my experience is that server load
is a much bigger issue, and is
easily solved by having a dedicated server
for session handling, and
'background' servers for handling the (cpu
and memory heavy) game logic.

So users always use the 'login server' and
are 'tunnelled' to the actual game
server where they belong.

Bart.
--