[DGD] Where did all the players go?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Dec 12 16:24:44 CET 2017

For me, it has taken quite some time to wrap my head around the concept and
implications of persistence. The first thing to realize is there being 2
different kinds of persistence involved.

- persistent server
- persistent world

You need the first to build the second, but the fir5st does not imply the
second, there is value in having a persistent server without a persistent
world in that you can do updates to the mud without needing 'reboots'.

With regards to persistent worlds, from a classic lpmud point of view, this is
typically about 'preserving inventories 'between sessions, and possibly across
reboots.

While those can be useful if not desirable features, this is really not what a
persistent world is about. On a mud implementing a persistent world, you could
drop something on some out of the way location, and given nobody walks by and
picks it up, it will still be there 10 years from now. Not needed for every
game, actuall not even desirable for some games. But for roleplaying games,
this can be quite valuable. For games which let players build their own world,
this is highly desirable. AT any rate, a persistent world also more or less
requires dealing with 'enforced' decay of things, ie, the house a player built
should, unless maintained, over time become a ruin, and in due time, 'nature'
should take it back and return the location to its original shape.

This requires being able to maintain the state of every object potentially for
many years.

Bart

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 03:33:08 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/