[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:15:38 CET 2017

I was informed by a public post from ChrisA that one of the side
effects of a persistent world was a load of junk left behind in
Marrach, including but not limited to heaps of scrolls, and piles of
food items that should long since have decayed.

So there is an issue of what to do with debris from RP that has not lasted.

Interestingly I also find it on point to mention an ldmud based mudlib
called SiMUD, which, being based on ldmud, wound up working around a
lot of missing features in ldmud that were natively implemented in dgd
itself...many of which I wound up implementing myslef once their
admins let me take over as the release engineer.

git://github.com/shentino/simud

One of the features they could have used DGD for was a persistnet
world...and they wound up implementing it with a hierarchial
save_object/load_object structure, plus a few daemons to pick up on
changed .c files.  Was actually pretty amazing to see how they'd
worked around missing what DGD has.

...and as a wizard I had not succeeded in avoiding what seems to have
become an in-joke on their mud.  That of accidentally nuking every
tree in the world.  Seems to have turned into a rite of passage for
wizards.

Thankfully on that note I was able to consult with one of the players
(also the admin's pet beta tester) who was a powerful druid in the
game, and he gave me a very useful overview of the kind of trees that
should be on each part of the world.  That information proved critical
in properly seeding my homebrew "random tree" planter with the
appropriate parameters to restore the flora to what they actually
should have been from the start of the game.

On a related note:

Prominent PCs can often be a GREAT source of information for how
things can (or should) be in the world.  He actually wound up giving
me some much needed help without which I probably couldn't have done
my job as a release engineer.  I felt bad having to confiscate his
heaps of crafted objects, but unfortunately his heaps of objects were
actually causing the mud to crash and error.  I had to put a limit of
100 objects per container to avoid causing the saveload thing I
mentioned in a previous paragraph from choking on an error.  And in
the process, his actions exposed that as a potential DoS avenue that I
was able to patch in the code.