[MUD-Dev] Supporting RP+PG

Tue Jul 1 11:05:56 CEST 1997

[Chris L:]
:This loses the ugliness of numbers while avoiding the chancy
:interpretation of adjectives (just how hurt is "in agony" as vs
:"moaning with pain"?)	Essentially you now have a percentage value.
:The problem which it chares with all the other general systems is in
:evaluating what 20% damage (or whatever) really means in game
:functionality.

:ie given a stat at XXX level, what can and can't I do because of that
:stat?

Well, there are going to be a few percentage levels which the game
designer has chosen to be cut-offs for certain things. E.g. 10% health
you are immobile, 50% you are slowed down significantly, etc. Just
decorate the graphics with some kind of indicators. E.g. change the
colour of the bar, or just have ticks alongside it. You could even
do it gradually - have longer marks rather than ticks, and continuously
change the colour of the bar as it passes the marks. Something tells
me I've seen something like this before...

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA