[MUD-Dev] Virtual Chemistry

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 14 02:55:28 CEST 1997

> From: Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com>
> Subject: [MUD-Dev]  Virtual Chemistry
>
> [JL:]
> > My assumptions were that the results of the combination/assembly were
> > known in advance (created by builders).  I see from some of the other
> > posts and yours here that you could in fact create new assemblys on the fly
> > given enough rudimentary (al)chemistry.  Perhaps this is a more interesting
> > way to proceed?
>
> IMO this is always the best way to proceed.  The result is that your own
> game will be more playable to you.  And I'll tell you, there's nothing
> cooler than seeing a player create something with your own system that you
> never expected (code bugs aside).  This is where programming becomes an
> artform of its own, in my mind.  When you create a book or a movie or some
> other static piece of art, you're never really surprised with the result,
> since you crafted every part of it and the end result is, as I said, static.
> When designing a *system*, however, you can end up with effects completely
> unexpected and yet completely logical and interesting (if the system was
> well designed).  And *that's* when you realize it's all worth it...

Yes, the Master of Game balance in my left hemisphere sends warning messages
to the right hemisphere.  Visions of "The Bitter Butter Battle War" appear
before my eyes.  A clever Yook finally develops the Big Bang Boomeroo!  Through
an unfortunate accident all the Zooks are destroyed, nuclear winter sets
in on the mud and all bread is buttered butter-side down.  I slap
the Master of Game balance silly.  This IS a good thing.

JL
-
I am the Dragon of Grindly Grund, but my lunches aren't very much fun,
For I like my damsels medium rare, And they always come out well done.