[MUD-Dev] Life

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Jun 3 06:05:58 CEST 1997

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:38:05 PST8PDT, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

>In <3.0.32.19970530231930.008f0bb0 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 06/01/97
>   at 09:33 AM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:
>
>>How abotu attacking ANYTHIGN that come through an area where newbies
>>frequently walk?
>
>I have no such areas.  Actually I have no real centralised routes or
>newbie specific areas.  Starting locations are the next best things to
>random and there are (hopefully) fairly decent game advantages to stay
>spread out across the land (crowding leads to vulnerability).

These areas will develop. With or without your involvement. New players
will rely on other players to find out where the important places are,
and there will be somewhere that presents a definite advantage to the
new player, even if it's just two shops with good prices and useful
equipment located next to each other.

>No.  I want characters to die, both at other player's hands, and by
>the game.  There are no better predators that other players.  I
>certainly can't write a mobile script as good as even a mediocre
>PK'er.

I'd question whether your total lack of control over that PKer is worth
the trade-off, myself. I can see that placing the development of the
game entirely into the hands of the players works when you give them a
set of goals, but when that set of goals is to kill and loot and pillage
and burn I sort of have to question whether the end result is going to
be what you expect.

 I am here to grind your eyes harder into the miasmic bile of life; to
 show you the truth and the beauty in the whisper of steel on silk and
 the crimson scent of blood as it rises to meet the caress of a blade.