[MUD-Dev] "short" Introductory Message (fwd)

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sat Jun 7 22:00:57 CEST 1997

At 07:28 PM 6/7/97 PST8PDT, Caliban wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:42:50 PST8PDT, Martin Keegan <martin at cam.sri.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I've had a look at many mud languages, and didn't like any. 'Mud languages'
>>sums these up very well. Muds, as far as I'm concerned, are "virtual
worlds",
>>and the languages used to describe them tend to be modelled on general
>>programming languages rather than reflecting virtual worlds in their
design.

>This is something I've been trying to say for a while, but I keep being
>told that all I'm doing is waging a codebase war.
>
>Basically, the internal command parser and programming language of a MUD
>tends to assume a lot of familiarity with the internal workings of the
>MUD server. There are exceptions, but those exceptions in general tend

Well, Cold doesn't HAVE a built in pareser, you roll your own out of very
useful highlevel net communciation and text-mathcing commands...

BUt Cold certainly isn't designed for a virtual world, its rather more a
hihgly obnject oriented generic server building toolkit with strong string
and list handling facilities.

If I ever get back to Kelvin its going to be very closely related because
this is what I peresonally want-- a generic environment I ccan do almos
tanything with.