[MUD-Dev] over the shoudler view

Raz muddyraz at mushroom.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 23:46:20 CEST 1997

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:20:19 PST8PDT, JeffK wrote:

> >An advantage of "over the shoulder" is that some basic peripheral
> >vision is given to the player.  Anyway, I prefer this one.  The
> >specifications of the average monitor makes first person seem like =
you're
>=20
> Yep, this is what I meant by "environmebntal awareness", but ist not as
> good as a more diastant 3/4 view or an overhead gives you, or even as =
much
> as a side view gives you. Its kinda a comrpomise before full 1st eprson=
 POV.

Wow - do I actually get to make use of some real life experience here??
=46irst time for everything =3D)

I work for a games company who produce hard-core flight sims, and I'm
blessed *cough* to be in one of the more 'customer facing' roles =3D)
Something I've picked up is that you can never give someone (well, a =
flight
simmer, anyway) enough situational awareness; they'll always call for =
more.
It would be realistic (in our sims and in a graphical Mud) that the
viewpoint is both first person and limited in field when you're facing
forwards.  However, our players demand not only that their pilot's head =
can
be turned realistically, but that they're provide with tracking cameras
that follow their craft (with full spherical panning), spectator views,
remote views, weapon tracking views and locked target views!

Something to consider for a graphical Mud..?

Raz