[MUD-Dev] The laws of probability

Sun Jun 8 09:19:31 CEST 1997

[Chris L. on the laws of probability:]

:  X is a random number from 0 - MAX_UINT.
:
:  Y is the sum of all the char_weight_map entries which match type
:entries in type_list.
:
:  Z is the sum of all the env_weight_map entries which match type
:entries in type_list.
:
:  if (base_probability + Y + Z < X) then
:    return 1
:  else
:    return 0
:  endif

Looks pretty good to me! My only comment is that it might be more
programmer friendly if X ranged from 0 to some multiple of 100, so that
the Y and Z factors would be easier to get a grasp on - they could be
percentage values scaled by that same multiple.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA