[MUD-Dev] Name/language generation

Jamie Norrish jamie at sans.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Jun 19 19:36:04 CEST 1997

The most sane way of generating words that I know of is to figure out
what phonemes the language has, and then what the phonotactic rules
are. Phonotactic rules being the ways in which the phonemes can be
joined together.

So, for example, you might have a rule which says:

Every word must begin with a consonant, followed by a vowel, then any
number of additional vowel-consonant pairs.

BTW, I would recommend doing this as "properly" as you can, because
the results are amazing. I will not do any culture creation (and this
is outside of MUDs) without doing this process, if not first, then at
least in parallel from the beginning. Having as real a language as
possible makes developing culture so much easier. Even just having
words, without anything else, is a great help.

Jamie