[MUD-Dev] Integrating PK

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Thu Jun 26 07:32:44 CEST 1997

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> I have always wondered...
>
> Are there any legal/business obligations involved in banning a player
> from a commercial mud?

I suspect, notifying players of any policies which may lead to their
exclusion, or loss of the service they have paid for (and the refund state
on this), in advance, perhaps requiring them to "sign" it in some way - my
ISP operate a similar scheme. You have to sign the "charter of conduct"
thing before they'll activate your account.

> Is there any chance of banned players taking legal action against
> a commercial mud because of the exchange of money for services?

If they've just been knocked off, having not been warned they could be for
what they did, possibly, it's probably a legal grey area, and kinda
unprecidented. If you advice them in advance like above, they haven't a
leg to stand on as far as I know.

> And in an uncertain humorous vein...
>
> Does the Better Business Bureau ever get mail bombed with the same
> sort of player whining that we see on rgma?

Heh. Probably. :)

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"He can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod!" - Soul Music (Pratchett)