[MUD-Dev] Flexible, Modular Server Design

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sat Jun 28 14:17:21 CEST 1997

At 12:26 PM 6/28/97 PST8PDT, Brandon Cline wrote:

>  My problem is, that if I was to design say, a Sci-Fi game, game systems
>and posibly part of the game server would be different than if it was a
>Fantasy game.  Especially if the game server itself is made into
>simplifications or approximations of the genre.  On the other hand, if the
>game server is made to be fully modifiable, through user objects, you have
>the possibility to create the different genres, but at the same time it
>requires a great deal of time and effort to create each game.  If maybe,

The answer has existed in the Pen and paper world for along time, cross
genre gaming systems.  IMO the two that have handled thsi the best are
related Hero (yes my personal favorite as you probably realize by now) and
its child Fuzion.

I'd recommend anyone intrested in this subecjt check out thopse 2 systems.
GURPS is another, but GURPS mroe clsoely fits the "new core for every
genre" catagory then the generic genre-less game system.

Jeff Kesselman