[MUD-Dev] Flexible, Modular Server Design

Sat Jun 28 16:29:50 CEST 1997

[Brandon C:]

:  My problem is, that if I was to design say, a Sci-Fi game, game systems
:and posibly part of the game server would be different than if it was a
:Fantasy game.	Especially if the game server itself is made into
:simplifications or approximations of the genre.  On the other hand, if the
:game server is made to be fully modifiable, through user objects, you have
:the possibility to create the different genres, but at the same time it
:requires a great deal of time and effort to create each game.	If maybe,
:the game sever was designed with easy modifiability in mind, and had a
:world base event handling and object handling that would fit most genres
:nicely (less simplification), then it would make sense to have decent
:support creation of new game systems (skills, objects, combat, armor,
:etc).	In a sense it is a hybrid of some of the current game systems out
:there, but also in itself a new design approach to the whole thing.
:  I am interested in input and ideas on this, and possibly people that
:would want to design a server of this type.

Isn't that pretty much what the newer LP mudlibs try to do?

I've tried to do that too - if you source the first directory-full of
stuff in my scenario, you end up with a lot of basic commands and
utilities, but no rooms or objects (well, the "Arrivals Room"). Combat
comes from another directory, the main scenario from a third, the
"Proving Grounds" area from a forth, and the on-line building stuff
from a fifth.

This kind of basic organization seems pretty straightforward, and I
would be surprised to see a general programmable server that *didn't*
set up the scenario/library that way.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA