[MUD-Dev] Re: Resets and repops

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Mon May 19 12:12:48 CEST 1997

Adam Wiggins wrote:

> > [Chris G.?]
> > [telnet]
> >
> > Nothing much there by default, huh? I guess I should forget about it
> > then. I just sort of assumed that your run-of-the mill 'telnet' program
> > would support the full set of telnet options!
>
> *thinks hard* As I recall from when I was fooling around with writing a
> 'normal' text mud client, telnet is just a byte stream with ocassional
> telnet codes which do something, although I'm not sure what.  It's a 0xff
> character followed by two bytes of code data; all I did was ignore it.
> As I recall very few of these are defined for stock telnet anyhow, I think
> it was designed to be some sort of expansion thing which never got used,
> or at least by anything interesting.

Slightly off topic, but also perhaps slightly related, there is a socket
implementation that does most of the extra telnet negotiation stuff:

NetServe -- http://www.dtc.rankxerox.co.uk/~robin/netserve.html

I've intentions of using it when I finally get down to coding.  It seems
quite clear and complete, and having it do all the telnet stuff gives a few
added perks.  I think it also does user ident too, FWIW.

--
Shawn Halpenny

"Don't force it--get a bigger hammer."
                            - Unknown