[MUD-Dev] Types of game

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Oct 4 22:39:07 CEST 1997

On Sun 21 Sep, Travis Casey wrote:

> Powergaming - A poor term, since this doesn't really fit with the
> traditional idea of powergaming, but it's the best I can come up with
> offhand.
>   This is using the abilities of one's character to overcome obstacles in
>   the game.  Hack'n'slash is one manifestation of this -- using a
>   character's abilities to kill monsters.  Other examples would include
>   a player of a thief character using the character's ability to
>   open locks.

To me the term is perfectly fine, if burdened with other meanings. This
type of game is all about gaining power of one sort or another.  Often,
as mentioned, the power to kill monsters (or other players).
A very significant distinction I would like to make in this category is
between games where gaining power is essentially solistic  and games in
which it is a cooperative effort.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,