Turn-based Combat

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 5 02:41:57 CEST 1997

On  1 Oct 97 at 22:15, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
> In <199709272314.TAA16305 at polaris.net>, on 09/27/97
>    at 04:23 PM, "Travis Casey" <efindel at polaris.net> said:
>
> >Are there any muds which don't have a "time based interface" (by
> >which I presume you mean a real-time interface, as opposed to a
> >turn-based interface).
>
> Yes.  Most of them seem to be Web based.  Rock is a new example at
> http://www.deltapolis.com/rock/.
>
> >Turn-based seems like it would be impractical
> >for a mud -- if one player has to go to the bathroom, should all the
> >other players be put on hold until he/she gets back?
>
> Nahh, just make default round times, with a defined tolerance for
> submissions.  Exceed the tolerance and you either get a default action
> (eg continue what you were doing last round), or do nothing at all.

I have been giving serious consideration to implementing a timed
turn sequenced combat round.  I find the types of combat actions that
interest me to be complex enough to warrant a turn based system.
Selecting default actions and modes of attack seems easy enough as
well as allowing a time delay for character's orders to be submitted.
Suprise and character initiative can also be implemented into such a
system.  Suprise by either removing the time delay for the
suprised character or by giving a free turn or two to the
supriser.  Initiative by alternating turn resolution.  One of the
problem areas I see is the determination by the system that the
character has entered a "combat" state.  We've talked about this
before.  What actions trigger such a state?  Are observers also
forced to enter a "combat" state in a non-combative mode in order to
allow them to react within the same time frame as the combatants?
It occurs to me that one's character should be allowed to react in
a strictly defensive manner, rather than a default offensive mode.
Eg. If Bubba the drunken troll throws a tankard of ale across the
tavern floor striking Boffo, it may be quite inappropriate for Boffo
to automatically draw his sword and attack.  So I'm thinking more
along the lines of modal/prompted inquiry:

Bubba hurls a tankard at you hitting you square in the forehead.
Do you wish to engage Bubba? Y/N ....
Ok.
> throw dagger at Bubba's bar stool.
You throw your dagger.  You miss the stool and the dagger hits
Bernie.
Do you wish to engage Bernie? Y/N
You have entered combat. You have 6 action points.
# draw dagger from left boot
You have 5 action points.
# charge Bernie
You have 3 action points.
# stab Bernie
You have 0 action points
# done
You draw a dagger from your left boot.
You charge towards Bernie.
Bernie hurls a stool at you sending you crashing to the floor.

You have 6 action points.
# stand
You have 4 action points.
# say "Bastard!"
You have 4 action points.
etc...

Needs a little work eh?

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.