[MUD-Dev] Carnage, scripting newbie guides

##Make Nylander thenewt at use.usit.net
Sun Oct 5 12:46:26 CEST 1997

[Original message sent by Koster, Raph]
| Just for the record, Worlds of Carnage, done by DimWit and Gilgamesh,
| was the first Diku to use an embedded scripting language, as opposed
| to calling spec_procs. Merc's mobprogs are based on their work, and
| used to be acknowledged as such in the docs... Merc's mobprogs, which
| now seem to be in common usage in the Diku world, also suck compared
| to Carnage's system. After WoC (founded in I think '92, and which I
| think is still around, though at one point the building that housed it
| burned down) came Legend with a somewhat nicer script language of its
| own and then Merc, and then another (Imperium Gothique?) that
| drastically extended and expanded mobprogs. Legend's original immortal
| staff is largely old Carnage players...
|
| Far as I know, mobprogs is the only one of these that was ever
| released, although Cythera is running WoC code and has its "acts"
| system as well.

	For whomever it may interest, a source code containing the
	Imperium Gothique mobprogs (and a ton of other stuff like
	skill-tree based advancement) is available at
		http://www.public.usit.net/sd_src.tar.gz
	If you download it, I would appreciate if you would keep it
	out of public circulation; other than that, for non-commercial
	purposes all my code may be freely used.

		Newt

--
I never regret my failures, but I regret every missed opportunity.