[MUD-Dev] UI Issues: Anti-scripting techniques

Brandon J. Rickman ashes at pc4.zennet.com
Wed Oct 8 16:25:36 CEST 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09 caliban at darklock.com (Caliban Tiresias Darklock) wrote:
>[I orignally wrote:]
>>In
>>Stonekeep (an essentially single player CRPG from 95(?)) this added some
>>hidden refinement to combat as your character developed a familiarity
>>"skill" with each different weapon used.  Even if your combat skills
>>didn't increase you would fight more effectively with the same weapon
>>after some time.
>
>Raise your hand if you went to some 'safe' location and put something
>heavy on the mouse button while you watched a rented video, so your
>skill would max. Yep... just like any other MUD skill system. ;)

I thought you had to be facing a fire for this to work.  There were also
several areas of the game that intentionally allowed you to improve
skills in an "easy" way (if you punched the magic forge in the Dwarven
lair, I think).  One of the reasons why a heavy object on the mouse worked
was because there was no sense of time built into the game.  You never
got tired, your game interactions (clicking the mouse) always meant the
same thing: swing weapon.  But the different choices of weapons and
fighting styles were partially what, IMHO, made this a good game.  The
system didn't overemphasize character skill ability.

A while ago (on rgm.admin) I proposed a more time oriented skill system
that was universally despised.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

- Brandon Rickman - ashes at zennet.com -
While I have never previously found a need for a .sig, this
may be considered one for the purposes of this list