[MUD-Dev] Turn-based Combat

John G. ashen at pixi.com
Wed Oct 8 16:49:06 CEST 1997

[sorry about attributions, my mailer is confused :]

:>  You have entered combat. You have 6 action points.
:>  # draw dagger from left boot
:>  You have 5 action points.
:>  # charge Bernie
:>  You have 3 action points.
:>  # stab Bernie
:>  You have 0 action points
:>  # done

I'm at the point where I want to hide all this 'how the system works'
  stuff from the players.  Let them type what commands they will,
  and just delimit their 'turn' silently behind the scenes.  After a while,
  the players will get a feel for where their limits are on actions per
  turn, instead of calculating maximal action efficiency per beat and
  other such unrealistic nonsense that can result from simply knowing
  that the 'program works on a point system'.

Just opining, but it detracts from the illusion otherwise :)

-John G.