[MUD-Dev] Re: MAPPING: Creating a bitmaped graphic from map

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Thu Apr 23 18:25:52 CEST 1998

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:21:13 -5
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 23 Apr 98 at 10:13, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:17:06 -0700 John
>> Bertoglio<alexb at internetcds.com> wrote:

>> First thought: I'd suggest dynamically generating .GIF's of the map
>> (perhaps even a single large .GIF covering the entire world), and
>> then exporting from that a sub-.GIF to the client for the segment
>> he's interested in.  The .GIF format is widely documetned, quite
>> simple, and has extensive libraries available for its manipulation.
>> PNG is another (quite likely better) format.  JPEG would seem
>> problemic.
>>

> Hmm.  Good answer.  Also GIF format is already HTML browser
> supported and not only that, one might do away with tables and have
> the server dynamically generate a hotspot graphical map.

Quite.  It would be fairly trivial to back the graphic with an
imagemap.  After a little research I suspect that PNG might be a much
better way to go.  It doesn't have the patent questions that GIF has,
and looks to be both smaller/more efficient sa well as a more direct
translation from his storage formats.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com

MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.