[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Development Digest

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Thu Apr 23 21:09:49 CEST 1998

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Ben Greear:]
>
> :I wonder if this applies in Java?  Since it is already managing
> :all the memory, I'd bet it does (or will) provide heap defrag.
>
> I'm much more cynical. My guess is that most Java Virtual Machines do
> well to accomplish garbage collection (note that many do not garbage
> collect threads), and do nothing in the way of compacting. They
> probably don't track pointers to be able to do so. Nothing is mentioned
> about compacting in the Virtual Machine book.

At this point in time, you are probably right.  However, I see no reason
why they couldn't or won't in the future.  Sure you can do a better job
if you take the time in c or c++, but as I see hardware prices plummet
and 1Ghz machines on the horizon, I have a hard time wanting to make
myself go through all the hard work.  I think it is becomming more and
more important for people to realize how much their own time is worth,
compared to the computer's.  This does not excuse sloppy code in any
way.  Often very efficient methods are a nightmare to update or expand
beyond their original scope...

Ben

> --
> Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
>

> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

--
MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.