[MUD-Dev] Socket programming (was: The impact of the web on muds)

Vadim Tkachenko vadimt at 4cs.com
Thu Jan 22 14:32:50 CET 1998

Richard Woolcock wrote:

[skipped]

> Out of interest, can anyone recommend a good book on socket programming?
> It a skill I'm sadly lacking to any useful degree...all I need to do then
> is work out how to draw a pixel on the screen, and the rest I can do ;)

You don't have to be _really_ good at sockets. I don't know how that
applies to your programming environment (what is it, can you please
remind?), but for me (C++, then Java) just the generalization of sockets
as streams worked pretty good - keeping in mind the reusability as well.

Besides that, the only difference between sockets and streams is
protocol-dependent information (such as hostname, port, mode (UDP/TCP),
etc.)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <VadimT at 4CS.Com>