[MUD-Dev] Re: Multi-Server games

Koster Koster
Wed Jul 1 19:37:30 CEST 1998

More cute figures from the IEEE conference:

UO runs multiple servers on dual-processor Sparcs, some servers running
portions of the map, others handling player connections, and a central
brain server that juggles the movement of connections from one to the
other. We use 100 megabit Ethernet between them, and had experimented
with ATM but it wasn't robust enough at the time we were trying it.
We're currently running 9 sets worth of these. There's also "login
servers" that handle connecting and account verification, that hand you
off to one of the above, and the patch servers.

If any of the above are inaccurate, I apologize--I am not in that part
of development at all, being a lightweight technical guy in final
analysis, and I am citing from memory.

-Raph