[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Koster Koster
Wed Jul 1 20:09:36 CEST 1998

Yep. But we chose that route (we actually got to that state in easy
stages) because protection of the newbie was paramount. And those guards
were the line of defense.

> See - a clear example of me not explaining myself properly.  *8(
> Sure it could be particular players, thats the whole idea - players
> who want
> to be guards should be guards.  Buffy the tailor shouldn't have to
> turn into
> a pyschotic killing machine to protect her shop.  If no-one wants to
> be a
> guard, the game should make up the numbers.

Couldn't agree more. :) Currently, UO does not support recognizing
player settlements in the wilderness as "towns" (and there's a host of
design issues related to adding said support) but we do plan on it. And
once we do, we'll open this can of worms in a big way. There are
currently something like a dozen or so plauer-built cities in UO, some
quite large. If there is interest, I can supply a list of URLs.

> No, the standards are set by the rulers of the city/kingdom/whatever.
> This
> maybe an NPC, or it maybe a player who managed to get elected.
> Indirectly
> the admin/coders have provided a set of rules by which the NPCs
> "think", but
> I'm planning on making NPCs use a subset of these to make them not all
> alike.

Nice--not easy to make work in a social sense, but nice. :) Sort of what
we'd like to do as well.

> > They do if that guard you expected to be there isn't, and a roving
> > warband comes in and ruins your carefully constructed roleplay
> event.
>
> No.  That just means when you planned the event you didn't take into
> account
> all the possible outcomes.

I was speaking player-run roleplay events, which are quite common in the
UO player-run cities...

> > I suspect we are speaking at cross-purposes here. I was talking
> about an
> > environment where players are building governments, setting their
> own
> > laws, and there is a considerable amount of freedom. You seem to be
> > assuming a fairly high level of admin/code governance...
>
> Actually I'm not.  I can't remember how much I've stated about what
> kind of
> game I'm aiming for (mostly cos I've not been "around" much lately)
> but what
> I'm aiming for is a game where players _or NPCs_ are building
> governments,
> setting their own laws etc.  The admin, namely myself and er...well
> it's
> just me, won't need to get in and prod NPCs to do things.  I want to
> create
> a game where NPCs do more than just get killed and actually create a
> fun
> environment that players can join.

Forgive me then, *I* was speaking at cross-purposes not knowing where
you were coming from. it actually sounds like we are taking extremely
similar approaches to the problem.

-Raph