[MUD-Dev] Re: In game bulletin boards vs. Web based.

Jo Dillon emily at thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 19:13:36 CEST 1998

> Would each server have it's own network connection.  If so, have you
> worked out a way to transfer Bubba's connection to another server
> in addition to his owned objects.  If not, how does distribution
> benefit the overall server throughput?  Wouldn't bandwidth generally
> still be the limiting factor?

   Each server would have its own network connection, possibly in totally
different parts of the world (the real world that is ;) Yes, it is possible
to transfer a connection; I have a 'telnet server' that users connect
to which connects in turn to the mud server. The idea is that users connect
to the telnet server nearest to them. I've also got some ideas about a
moderately dumb java client which could handle redirection, and I think
some existing text clients like Tinyfugue have ways of telluing the mudclient
to reconnect to a different mud. Bandwidth is a problen, but I'm hoping
that the tendency of most commands to refer to objects in the same room as the
player (or at least nearby) will keep network access down.

	Jo