[MUD-Dev] Re: (fwd) Re: command parsers: a modest proposa

Richard Bartle 76703.3042 at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 10 07:07:27 CEST 1998

Chris Gray <cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

 >for me, the concept of "part of speech" isn't really part
 >of the server. So, my "tables" are just mappings of strings to
 >database items, which includes objects, rooms, code, arrays, etc.
        I find parts of speech useful because they allow single words to
have different meanings depending on where they are used.
        WIND CLOCK              verb
        GET WIND CHIME          adjective
        SUMMON WIND             noun

        It's especially helpful with abbreviations:
        G K                     get key
        K G                     kill goblin
        G K F G                 get key from goblin
        F                       flee

        Using parts of speech, you can point to entirely different objects
from vocabulary entries by context.

                Richard