[MUD-Dev] Re: MapMaker

Fri Jul 10 08:15:05 CEST 1998

[S. Patrick Gallaty:]

 >You are standing at the edge of the sea.  To the west and
 >north you hear the sound of breaking waves.  To the east
 >you see a grassy plain.  To the south you see a sparse
 >forest.
 >In the distance to the north you see dark tower.
 >
 >and the resultant text map to create this virtual room
 >would be something like :
 >
 >. . -
 >. - '
 >. % %

Sounds very cool! The closest I came was in my 3-d "Troll maze", where
I used character strings to initialize the data structures for the levels
(my MUD language not having any other kind of bulk initializer). I did
a similar "generation of text description" there, but not as sophisticated.

What exactly triggers the actual creation of a room? Do you create one
for the character to be in, or only if they interact with it in some
way, like dropping something?  I copped out and never created real rooms,
just the one room, and then a coordinate in it. Dropping things was
not allowed (hack!)

--
Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA