[MUD-Dev] Re: You think users won't number crunch and statis

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Mon Jul 13 16:15:18 CEST 1998

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Dan Shiovitz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> > % stats
> > You are a female ogre.
> > You are very strong compared to most ogres.
> > You are very intelligent compared to most ogres.
> [..]
>
> Note that this is the *right* way to do it, and I haven't seen it like
> this anywhere. What I usually see is something like
>
>  % score
>  Your Strength: buff
>  % help strength
>  Strength values: wimpy, wussy, tiny, girly, average, normal, buff,
>                   macho, studly, heroic, titanic, elephantine.

Yeah, this is pretty bad, especially when there's no "help strength" and
you're left wondering what the hell is the difference between "wimpy" and
"wussy".

There are plenty of muds that DO do it right, however.  Check out After
the Plague (kungce.sk-szeged.hu 3000), for example.  (Their character
creation could be a little more clear, but their in-game stat display uses
the method I showed above.)

Adam