[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

quzah quzah at geocities.com
Sun Jul 19 13:59:08 CEST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam J. Thornton <adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Sunday, July 19, 1998 10:48 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

>Multiple inheritance may provide a solution.  That is, I create an empty
>table (class) "fragile" and nestle it under "object".  Then the goblet
>inherits both "liquid_container" and "fragile".  And if someone tries to
>break it, we look to see if it's a member of "fragile" (or "fragile*" if I
>have subclassed "fragile" in the meantime).

I am thinking of doing something along the lines of defining the pieces
that make up the object [perhaps not, as this may be too resource hungry]
such as, an axe would have a handle and a head/blade. The handle would be
"made of" a material type, in this case, wood, the blade/head would have
another material, in this case, hmm.. bronze sounds good. It'll be bronze.

Now then, what I hope to do is make it so:
% remove head from axe handle
You remove the head from the axe handle, now, instead of a functional
axe you have an axe head, and a wooden handle.
%look handle
This handle is made of wood, oak perhapse, and was once part of an axe.
It should be functional for a hammer or such also.
%look axe head
The axe head, or bit, is made of bronze, and is roughtl.... blah blah..

So, if I were making the two containers, I'd have wineskine made of a
skin or hide type, and the beaker made of glass. Each element type will
have (ideally) things it reacts too. Glass would react negativly to
things like dropping and aggression.

%drop beaker
You drop one of your glass beakers, it shatters when it hits the stone
floor, spilling its contents all about.

%throw beaker
You throw one of your beakers off into the distance, it dissapears into
the dim, and you hear it shatter and guess it must have hit something.

--
Now naturally, I tend to make my descriptions of reactions better than
I could possibly code. But if I wrote it as I could currently make it,