[MUD-Dev] Re: [CODE] [LANGUAGE/PLATFORM SPECIFIC] My Event Engine

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Wed Jul 22 09:28:54 CEST 1998

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Joel Kelso wrote:

> s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
>
> > so, yes, it is 'tick-based', but only inasmuch as the computer is tick
> > based.  I don't impose any artificial ticks on top of the system ticker.
> > :)  I do allow for the definition of a GRAIN, but that is only for
> > shorthand.  It gets a bit cumbersome to schedule an event to go off in one
> > week of real time if you have to measure it down to the nanosecond.  The
> > Grain is just an int multiplied to the offset before it is added to the
> > current time:
> >
> >   t += offset * GRAIN;
>
> Hey, this might be obvious, but how do you get a system clock milliseconds
> or microseconds (nanoseconds ?) in Unix ?  Is there a POSIX standard
> function for this ?

There are two functions, gettimeofday() and clock_gettime().
gettimeofday() uses seconds and microseconds, clock_gettime() uses seconds
and nanoseconds.  I can't recall which one I used, but I remember there
being trouble with one of them on my linux box.  I do not believe they are
POSIX (their man pages mention nothing about POSIX), but they are MT-safe.

-Greg