[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Fri Jul 24 15:13:53 CEST 1998

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:37:11 -0700
Mike Sellers<mike at bignetwork.com> wrote:

> At 09:40 AM 7/24/98 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> As some of the currently petitioning-for-posting-authority can
>> attest I vet who gets let in fairly closely.  An obstacle course.
>> I confidently predict that this pre-selection of the membership has
>> far more effect on the character and culture of this list than any
>> of us, encluding myself, are aware of.

> I reluctantly have to agree.  This goes to what Raph has been saying
> about strong-RP environments being heavily controlled in terms of
> who gets access and/or what they are allowed to do once they have
> access.  Of the two I'd prefer strong controls on the first of
> these, though it's neither commercially viable nor philosophically
> satisfying.

Quite.  I dislike herding -- you are not sheep and I refuse to
consider you as such.  The way I do moderate this list is *NOT*
scalable.  I also worry that my own preferences, preconceptions and
concepts of "the right way" are inevitably colouring and eventually
stifling the list and its products due to my pre-selection.

We have a total membership of ~200 now.  I'm not even going to attempt
to imagine what the workload would be if membership grew by a mere
order of magnitude.

Its a sad testament that this list would not nood to exist if Usenet
still functioned.

> Hmm.  In these terms maybe Disney has it right again: the "game" is
> that the heavy RPers walk amongst the OOCers, having to keep the
> world running and staying in character -- the online version of
> playing Mickey in a theme park surrounded by zillions of sweating
> tourists.  You'd bet you'd want to select those RPers carefully!
> But it could be fun if you framed it correctly...

Renaissance Festivals and the SCA...

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com