[MUD-Dev] Levelless MUDs

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Mon Jun 8 11:51:32 CEST 1998

The notion of converting to levelless MUDding is floating around
the MUD I admin, and I am curious as to how this is done elsewhere
(since I personally have never set foot in a levelless MUD).

What metrics of progress are used to replace "levels"? Do players
find this an acceptable substitute? What types of players does this
attract? How do you handle things like spells, where caster vs.
target level is what determines effectiveness?

I'd like to hear legitimate pros and cons, not "oh, it's cool" or
"I hated it, it sucked."

Thanks,
Holly