[MUD-Dev] Re: Levelless MUDs

Jon Leonard jleonard at divcom.slimy.com
Mon Jun 8 14:53:10 CEST 1998

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 11:51:32AM -0500, Holly Sommer wrote:
> The notion of converting to levelless MUDding is floating around
> the MUD I admin, and I am curious as to how this is done elsewhere
> (since I personally have never set foot in a levelless MUD).
>
> What metrics of progress are used to replace "levels"? Do players
> find this an acceptable substitute? What types of players does this
> attract? How do you handle things like spells, where caster vs.
> target level is what determines effectiveness?

Probably the best resources for this aren't MUD-related, but rather the
pencil and paper games.  Most of the level based games draw heavily on
D&D, so that's probably the best reference for that point of view.

For non level-based systems, I'd recommend looking at GURPS, Call of Cthulhu,
and the Amber Diceless system as good examples.  I have a number of these
books, but that's only useful (lendable) to people in the San Francisco
bay area.

A system implemented on a MUD should be optimized somewhat differently,
though.  Doing complicated arithmetic isn't hard, and making judgement
calls isn't an option.  Still, the difference between the two kinds of
systems is what's interesting.  I can elaborate if there's interest.

> I'd like to hear legitimate pros and cons, not "oh, it's cool" or
> "I hated it, it sucked."

I haven't actually played on a levelless MUD, having gotten into
administration and then started implementing a MUD from scratch.
I really prefer the levelless approach, though.

> Thanks,
> Holly

Jon Leonard