[MUD-Dev] Re: mud websites

Scatter scatter at thevortex.com
Thu Jun 11 12:08:48 CEST 1998

Oliver Jowett <oliver at jowett.manawatu.planet.co.nz> wrote:

> I suspect that webservers-in-mud-servers are quite common..

Very possibly... I've seen a few muds where there is some
limited integration of webserver into the mud, providing
a few things such as "who" lists and message reading. I've
not seen anything on the sort of scale I'm planning tho.

> AR (ooh, I can see potential for confusion here) has a
> built-in web server with a few interesting bits & pieces -
>see http://abandoned.org:4448/
[snip]
> There's also a recent addition that allows player to edit
> strings via a browser & submit to the mud directly -
> considerably nicer than using a line-based editor

Hmmmm interesting idea, that one. Not sure how usable it
would be though, how does it work? Player issues a command
and is given a URL to go to do the edit?

> (I'm not familiar with the details of this, haven't
> actively worked on the code for some time). There was
> support for a Java applet that did basically the same
> thing via a separate protocol

I think I'd prefer to avoid this sort of thing. I think it's
enough that people can ftp files and edit them locally
using whatever friendly editors they desire.

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Scatter wrote:
>
> > I'm planning an interface to read the message boards, and
> > since pages can require character name/password
> > authorisations I can also provide secure (well, at least
> > as secure as logging in via telnet) interfaces for posting
> > to the boards, and reading and sending mud-mail. They'd be
> > the same boards and mail as available in the game, but with
> > a much prettier and friendlier interface than a command
> > line can provide.
>
> Considered NNTP?

I hadn't... I have now. I don't think it's a goer because
(as far as I know) NNTP would not enable the mud to identify
a connection as being a particular player. I don't want
non-players to be able to read or post messages, hence
accessing the boards through the web would require the
character name & password to confirm identity. I don't think
that's possible with NNTP.

--
Scatter ///\oo/\\\