[MUD-Dev] Re: mud websites

Oliver Jowett oliver at jowett.manawatu.planet.co.nz
Thu Jun 11 14:32:17 CEST 1998

I suspect that webservers-in-mud-servers are quite common..

AR (ooh, I can see potential for confusion here) has a built-in web server
with a few interesting bits & pieces - see http://abandoned.org:4448/
(also http://abandoned.org:4448/cl for the changelog - that main page
hasn't been updated in ages)

Quick summary of what's there:

- mo n mo stats (connected users, average players/hour, general mud stats,
  ...)
- help system access
- message board read access (though it's broken atm)
- basic authentication to enable access to admin commands: reboot,
  shutdown, various world-building-related search systems, etc
- access to the changelog

There's also a recent addition that allows player to edit strings via a
browser & submit to the mud directly - considerably nicer than using a
line-based editor (I'm not familiar with the details of this, haven't
actively worked on the code for some time). There was support for a Java
applet that did basically the same thing via a separate protocol (and
hence had to be served from the mud server itself), but I had a lot of
problems writing an editor applet that would actually work on a range of
browsers. Java UI tweaking is not one of my strengths.

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Scatter wrote:

> I'm planning an interface to read the message boards, and
> since pages can require character name/password authorisations
> I can also provide secure (well, at least as secure as logging
> in via telnet) interfaces for posting to the boards, and
> reading and sending mud-mail. They'd be the same boards and
> mail as available in the game, but with a much prettier and
> friendlier interface than a command line can provide.

Considered NNTP?

-O