[MUD-Dev] Re: Databases: was Re: skill system

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at beldin.snugharbor.com
Thu Jun 11 14:43:16 CEST 1998

In message:  <9193945826E7D0118BB4080009DBF8F611737D at TTECH>
             jacob langthorn <jlangthorn at towertechinc.com> writes:

>	Has any one tried using Orical or SQL to manage the data base
>for the mud? If so what sorta luck did you have?

Yes.  David Passmore and Lydia Leong did an experiment with MUSH,
trying to run it off of one of the SQL engines.  They found that
it dramatically increased the speed of global searches, but increased
the time to get stuff like the list of local objects by an order of
magnitude.

This fits with my beliefs about MUDs and classic DBs: they're optimized
for different things, and should be so.

- Alex