[MUD-Dev] Re: Mud-time vs real-time (was Re: skill system)

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at beldin.snugharbor.com
Thu Jun 11 15:00:38 CEST 1998

In message:  <199806112141.QAA06495 at rgate.ricochet.net>
             Mike Sellers <mike at bignetwork.com> writes:

>This sparked a thought in me I haven't seen dealth with here: does anyone
>keep a real and meaningful tally of long-term time going by?  For example,
>[...] you could fairly easily make adjustments for aging, skill aquisition
>and atrophy, and even crop cycles, building maintenance, etc.

BatMUD and relatives have had aging and related nuisances for
(cough) ages.  All it seems to do is give money to the Druids,
who do reincarnations and youth potions... nobody allows their
characters to get old enough for skills to be affected.

Player-castle maintenance again is mainly a means of funneling
money, this time to the Merchants, who do building repairs...
although there's the added element that if your castle is in
bad enough shape, some other player can just move in and take
it over (at which point the first thing they do is call for a
Merchant).

- Alex