[MUD-Dev] Re: stuff that makes me leave

Mike Sellers mike at bignetwork.com
Sun Jun 14 17:44:11 CEST 1998

At 11:52 PM 6/14/98 -0700, Richard Woolcock wrote:
>> - requiring too much detail to get started (Harshlands, eg, requires
>>   ridiculous amounts of detail to even get into the game considering I
>>   don't know if I want to play there or not yet)
>
>I've tried Harshlands and liked it.  Yes, you have to enter a lot of
>detail before you can play - but is that a bad thing?  Is it unreasonable
>to expect players to spend a few minutes generating their character
>before allowing them to play?

Depends who you're trying to attract.  If you're content with having a
small user base that already knows you and likes your style of mudding,
then this probably isn't a problem.  If you're interested in attracting
people who may not be sure whether they want to play your game, then this
is a humongous threshold to ask them to climb over.  Many will just go play
other games instead.=20

Good thread, btw.  Let's hear more.

--

Mike Sellers=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Chief Creative Officer=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 The=
 Big Network

             =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fun=A0=A0 Is=A0=A0 Good =20