[MUD-Dev] Re: OT: Announcement

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Tue Jun 16 10:27:25 CEST 1998

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Greg Munt:]
   ^^^^^^^^^
wrong Greg.  :)  'Twas I, Greg Underwood, who announced this.  :)

>  >On June 13th, at approximately 11:30 am I received my Bachelor of Science
>  >in Computer Science, with University (magna cum laude) and Departmental
>  >honors, from Wright State University (Dayton, Ohio, USA).
>
> Congrats! I wonder if that was more or less painful than the births we've
> seen announced here? :-)

Well, lets see... I was involved in the pain for 6 years, they only had 9
months... on the other hand, all I got was a piece of paper, they passed a
bowling ball sized object.  There's also a strong arguement that their
pain just began with 9 months... ;)

> Planning on grad studies? I don't know what its like now, but it was quite
> a bit of fun when I went through (an unadmitted number of years ago!). You
> get a little bit of respect from staff, you might get a part of an office,
> you don't have to take as many courses (unless you are in a hurry), and
> access to things comes a lot easier. You can also get paid for being a
> teaching assistant, which is painful for the first week, but can be
> quite gratifying if you have a teaching bent.
>
> A friend and I worked on all sorts of game systems while we were grad
> students!

I'm contemplating Grad, but I haven't made a decision yet.  I plan on
taking the GRE at the end of the summer, to force myself to think about
school whilst I'm at work.  I don't want to get too addicted to things
like money, food, shelter... ;)  I still need to do some investigating to
determine which schools I want to apply to... I have my list-o-cool
schools (UC Berkeley, Notre Dame, MIT, Carnegie Mellon) and I have a
couple of schools that I am 90%+ sure I can get into (Ohio State, Wright
State).  I need to flesh out the middle a bit, and get some good schools I
wouldn't mind going to and also wouldn't mind being rejected from.

-Greg (Underwood... ;)