[MUD-Dev] Re: Is worse better?

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Tue Jun 16 22:21:23 CEST 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> On 16 Jun 98, Katrina McClelan wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, J C Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > > Unix and C are the ultimate computer viruses.
> >
> > Interesting way to refer to them.  I guess that makes Windows 95 a
> > new birth defect that we're still trying to find a cure for?  :)
>
> Well yeah, sort of.   It's a genetic mutation that is a further step
> on the chain of OS evolution.  Kind of like a transition from homo
> erectus to homo sapiens neanderthalis.  While erectus used simple and
> blunt tools, neanderthalis used more complex assemblies of tools.
> Erectus never did find a cure for these "birth defects".   :P

A mud developer bashing Unix and lauding win95?  Have I missed something?

Btw, religion aside:  How can any one process die and crash a
(multi-tasking) kernel?  Ie, como se dice 'Blue Screen'???  I mean, as
root I can take down my Linux box, but I've never been able to crash the
kernel, or even openwindows.

OTOH, I hear the new win98 is more crash proof.  Course, that was
a columnist in the local paper..but hey!

Ben